UCT Online admission requirements 2023-2024
UCT Online admission requirements 2023-2024
There are 10 online admission requirement for 2023-2024 details:
- Personal details – you will need to upload a copy of your South African ID or passport.
- Program of study – at this stage you will need supporting documentation such as a CV, non-UCT transcript, motivation for your choice of study, and proof of English proficiency if required.
- Contact details
- Secondary school details
- Post-school activities
- Tertiary education details
- Housing application
- Funding application
- Parent/guardian and fee-payer details
- Submit – once the application is submitted, it cannot be changed online. Changes can only be made by contacting the Admissions Office via the school email.
Prerequisites for the University of Cape Town’s general application
UCT Courses & Requirements for Admission
Depending on the course you intend to take, different entrance requirements apply. The following is a list of requirements for certificate programs, diplomas, and degrees:
1. Certificate of Undergraduate Study
Applicants must check with the admissions office or the relevant faculty to confirm their eligibility for admission to undergraduate certificate study.
2. Study for an undergraduate diploma
A National Senior Certificate (NSC), as validated by Umalusi, with an accomplishment level of 3 (Moderate Achievement, 40–49%) or better in 4 recognized NSC 20-credit topics is the prerequisite for entrance to undergraduate diploma studies.
3. Study for a Bachelor’s Degree (UCT Courses and requirements)
Applicants must fulfill the following eligibility conditions in order to be admitted to degree-granting programs:
- Applicants holding a South African National Senior Certificate (NSC) need to pass a minimum of 4 subjects at a rating of 4 (Adequate Achievement, 50-59%) or better in any four 20-credit NSC subjects.
- Applicants holding a South African Senior Certificate need matriculation endorsement.
- Applicants holding non-South African school-leaving certificates must qualify for a matriculation exemption certificate. For more information please visit the website of the Matriculation Board.
Minimum language proficiency
All applicants must have attained a certain level of proficiency in English and are required to submit evidence of this, as outlined below, as part of their application to study.
South African Senior Certificate undergraduate applicants
South African Senior Certificate undergraduate applicants to UCT must have achieved a pass of 40% or more on the Higher Grade in English (First or Second Language) at the Senior Certificate level.
South African undergraduates applying to the NSC
Students from South Africa who are interested in enrolling in undergraduate programs at UCT must have received a Home Language or First Additional Language level NSC score of 2 (Elementary Achievement, 30-40%) or above.
applicants with school-leaving certificates issued outside of South Africa
Please refer to UCT’s language specifications.
Please get in touch with the UCT English Language Center for further details about the IELTS and TOEFL tests.
Making a score for admissions (APS)
A score for admission will be assigned based on the percentages obtained on the preliminary and final National Senior Certificate exams. The total of six subjects—excluding Life Orientation—as well as English and any other subjects that may be necessary for the particular program are taken into account when determining admittance. For a certain program where math and physical sciences are necessary, for instance, to calculate the NSC score towards the APS, we will use the results for English, Math, Physical Sciences, and the next three best subjects besides Life Orientation.
For any topic, grades below 40% are not awarded.
UCT Courses and Requirements Minimum entry standards for the Higher Certificate
A National Senior Certificate (NSC) with a minimum of 30% in the language of instruction at the higher education institution, as recognized by the Council for General and Further Education and Training, is the prerequisite for admission (Umalusi). Depending on the institution and the program, specific combinations of recognized NSC courses and levels of achievement may be necessary.
A school might decide, for instance, that a Higher Certificate in Architectural Design also needs a specific level of proficiency in Design and a related recognized subject, in addition to the NSC.
UCT Diploma admission criteria at a minimum
The National Senior Certificate (NSC) with a minimum of 30% in the language of instruction at the higher education institution, as certified by Umalusi, along with an achievement rating of 3 (Moderate Achievement, 40–49%) or better in four approved NSC 20-credit subjects, constitute the minimum admission requirements. It may be necessary to combine approved National Senior Certificate subjects and levels of achievement in order to meet institutional and program requirements. A pass at a required level in mathematics or information technology, for instance, might be necessary for a diploma in data metrics.
The minimum qualifications for entry into UCT are a bachelor’s degree
The National Senior Certificate (NSC) and an achievement rating of 4 (Adequate Achievement, 50-59%) or better in four subjects selected from the following recognized 20-credit NSC subject list are both required for admission. Umalusi certification of the NSC’s language of learning and teaching is also required.